This month, the College of Communication hosted the first of three alumni panels, welcoming back students in all areas of COM. The series kicked off with Mass Communication alumni working in public relations, advertising and emerging media.
The panel was delighted to share their experiences, both from their new job and from their job search process.
The panelists offered a few key pieces of advice for job hunters. Alex Landa (Emerging Media Studies ‘16) reminded students to do their research on a company they are interviewing with and to prepare by researching websites, Twitter feeds and any source of information they can find. When describing her interview experience, Rebecca DeLuca (Public Relations ‘15) told the audience that her interviewer wanted to know what she could do for his organization. As an international student, recent alumna Joy Chen (Public Relations ‘16) talked about needing sponsorship status to work in the United States. She said she had to widen her job search to include larger agencies who could provide sponsorship. Lauren Thimmesch (Advertising ’16) searched for a job, while she was away on the BU London program. Thimmesch stressed the importance of focusing on your own search and not comparing your process to your friends’. Recent alumna Melanie Medeiros (Communication Studies ’16) said that in the process of applying to PhD programs she continually questioned her decision to pursue a doctorate.
Though these COM alumni have ventured into many different industries and organizations, they were unanimous about the benefits of their COM experience. They all agreed on the importance of gaining great media writing skills and experiencing the challenges of team work on their academic projects.
COM alumni panel members:
- Katie Bergamini, International Relations & International Communication ’16, Assistant Media Planner, Connelly Partners
- Joy Chen, Public Relations ’16, Digital Communication Specialist, Steward Health Care
- Rebecca DeLuca, Public Relations ’15, Assistant Director of Communications for Development & Alumni Relations, Lasell College
- Alex Landa, Emerging Media Studies ’16, Outreach and Communications Manager, U.S. Green Building Council
- Mel Medeiros, Communication Studies, ’16, Communication Coordinator, BU Office of the VP and Associate Provost for Research (also applying for PhD programs)
- Jess Scanlon, Marketing Communication Research ’14, Digital Strategist, Hill Holliday
- Lauren Thimmesch, Advertising ’16, Art Director, Zipcar
Denise Joseph, Senior Editor/Faculty Liaison
Denise is a graduate student studying mass communication. She is a BU staff member in the College of Engineering, Division of Systems Engineering, where she manages an academic center and a technical journal. Denise has an undergraduate degree in Fine Arts from Wesleyan University and a Master’s in Architecture from the University of Pennsylvania. She is an avid tea drinker. She delights in digging and planting in the garden and is especially proud of the rock paths and stone walls she’s constructed.